Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dark Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons

This past weekend we had a family Christmas party, and while the cheesey Bingo game and prizes were a definate hit, I have to say I made some bangin' coconut macaroons. 

Of course I had help from my friend Ina Garten.  By the way, does her name bother anyone else as much as it does me?  So this recipe is below, I kicked it up a notch and melted dark chocolate chips and dipped them half way.  As an afterthought I think it would have been better to drizzle these since the chocolate is almost too overpowering.  I guess I should have just listened to Ina in the first place.  Mad props Ina, these are awesome.

Coconut Macaroons
Ina Garten
14oz sweetened flaked coconut
1 can 14oz sweetened condensed milk
1t vanilla
2 xlarge egg whites at room temp.
1/4 t kosher salt
1. Preheat to 325F.  Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In large bowl, mix coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla till combined
3. In medium bowl, with mixer fitted to whisk attachment on high speed, whip egg whites andsalt until medium-firm peaks form.  Carefully fold egg whits into coconut mixture.
4. Drop two rounded teaspoonful portions onto prepared cookie sheets.  Bake 25-30 min. or until golden brown.
5. Jen's step- wait till cookies have cooled, in double boiler/make shift double boiler melt chocolate chips.  once melted dip your cookies and place onto wax paper til they have set.

No comments:

Post a Comment