Monday, December 20, 2010

Granola!

This weekend has been full of baking, shopping,cleaning and ending with my brothers graduation.  I'm pooped, but excited for a fun filled week.  I came across a recipe for granola in the December Issue of the Rachael Ray magazine for Berry Christmas Granola a few weeks ago and it peeked my interest.  I normally make my Mom's fabulous caramel corn recipe for folks at work but decided to try something new.  So off I went to my favorite Amish bulk food store to gather the yummy ingredients.  Only in Amish country will you hear the cashier ask to the man in front of you if he will be "butchering the hog today".  To her disappointment he will not, just making ring bologna.
After making a double batch of this and being pleased with it I had plenty of ingredients to make another double batch.  Here's the recipe;

Berry Christmas Granola
Rachael Ray
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
2 T sesame seeds
1/4t salt
6T unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
1 cup salted, roasted pistachios shelled and coarsly chopped.
3/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 275 F.  On a large baking sheet, toss together the oats, almonds, sesame seeds and salt.   In a glass measuring cup, combine the butter ad honey, pour over the oat mixture and stir with a rubber spatula to blend.  Spread evenly and bake for 30 minutes, stirring and spreading once with the spatula during cooking.  Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
2.  In a large bowl, combine the pistachios, cherries and blueberries with the cooled oat mixture and toss to combine.
Since I'm using this recipe as a gift I packaged it in mason jars with a lovely festive ribbon.  Tada!  If you are looking for an easy fast homemade gift, here ya go!

As I said I ended my weekend with my brothers graduation from LCCC.  Great Job Dave! We are all so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment