Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Grammy Story #1

I started this post a few weeks ago.  Since my Grammy has passed, and while we are mourning the loss we find love and laughter in the memories we have of her.  This story is classic and I want to remember it so it's here for all to see, I had planned to post more 'Grammy stories' but I did not have another chance.  My Grammy was a strong woman, knew what she wanted and went after it.  While a death of a love one brings everything into perspective, the one thing I have learned is to keep family close they are your most valuable asset.
Here is my Grammy before 8 children, 32 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren, what a swell gal.


12/23/10-
Since my Grammy has not been in a state to be left alone the family has been taking turns in shifts staying with her.  I've used this opportunity to get to know her better and my family history better.  I feel as though I've opened a whole new chapter in my life that I have not ventured into before.  During the holiday's cookies were a focus on our discussions.  While we were taking a trip down memory lane she gave me some inside stories and I hope to share them here with you.
Grammy story #1.  Grammy's Chocolate Addiction.
Grammy confessed that she once stole money from the church collection.  She was 12 and wanted chocolate. Who is to blame her!  I get some pretty strong chocolate cravings as well.  She assured me that she needed that money much more than the church at the time.  And also assured me that it was well worth it because the chocolate sure was tasty!
My Grammy then told me her and her 3 siblings didn't have much growing up.  Her father passed away from a heart attack when she was 2, so her Mother had to raise all 4 kids on her own.  She got teary eyed when she mentioned she always wondered what it would have been like to have a Dad, if things would have been different.  My Great Grammy did not go out much, my Grammy thinks that she was afraid of what people would think of her going to church without a husband.  So she would send the kids to church (in their silk dresses and bonnets) and to the store to get her things.  Perhaps this freedom got the best of my Grammy.
She said she never got caught, or told anyone.  I must be special.

Love you Grammy, Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment