Saturday, July 16, 2011

I did it!

I did it! I live to tell the story!
I finished less than an hour ago and I am feeling great!  I got to the race early this morning fairly calm surprisingly. I did not set any expectations on myself other than keeping my pace and running the whole thing.  Since I went to this race alone, I found it a perfect time to people watch.  Some people warmed up with a jog and stretches.  I think one couple even ran the race?! Weirdos.  I'm pretty sure those are the ones who came in first.  Personally when I run I walk out the door and go so the walk from the car was good enough for me. I save my stretching for after.  So I just stood there and waited...and waited...My friend Tim was right, the wait before the race is the worst.  You just want to get it started. 


Pre-race looking like a giant in my living room
 So finally "On your mark, get set, go!" was announced and we were off.  I started slow, my heart pounding out of my chest.  I talked my self down from the ledge and focused on my breathing.  A half a mile in I was good.  I hit a mile at 10:15 which is a good pace for me.  And let me tell you, if you ever volunteer to work at a race the cheering does help!  You cheer those runners on like it's your job.  Seriously, mad props to the kids handing out water along the way.  Although I did not drink they made me laugh. "If you drink this water you will win the race!" it was cute and a nice relief at the 1 mile mark. 
On the website it says flat course. Um I'm not sure what flat is to them but there was a nice steady climb at 1.5.  Although it was nice to run down it.  That was a little tricky of them.  I will forgive them though.  At 2.5 I was just about spent, but I gave it all I could to not walk.  Finally saw the finish line and plowed through, picked up speed and made it in at 32:00!  I am so proud.

post race- I did it!
I left and thought of going to dunkin for a breakfast sandwich and iced coffee but thought it didn't make much sense to eat all those calories I just burned.  So I kept driving and rewarded myself with a nonfat iced coffee from Starbucks. Yum.

I am thinking I will do another race soon, maybe next month.  It feels so good to finish.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Jen! Before you know it will be May 2012 and we will be running 10 miles side by side for the Broad Street Run!

    ReplyDelete