Friday, April 30, 2010

Stop!

I can't stop, there is no stop button on me, for some reason I feel the need to constantly go go go.  Tonight I had a free night, nothing planned. Wow, doesn't happen often these days.  The man of the house (as he so humbly announced when he stopped home for lunch)  works nights so unfortunately he was not around.  I can't relax, do nothing, veg.  I can't say I didn't try, but soon I got up to sweep the floors and started going through my closet, and then thought hmm I could make something for tomorrow.  Tomorrow we are going to do a final cleaning at my sisters Cafe before the health inspector comes on Monday, but more on that 'adventure' another time.  Since they have been working so hard lately at getting their business up and running i thought it would be nice to make a snack for the busy bees.

I thought granola, and typed it into one of my fav recipe blogs Smitten Kitchen.  I found the recipe there and tweaked it a little, I couldn't put 6 T of butter in it, or corn syrup.  You must know that I'm known for not following directions and screwing recipes up, my family is usually very surprised when I make something...good.  My sister is a pastry chef, so after eating any of her treats, mine seem so elementary.  I'm working at it though.

1-12 oz bag of premixed dried fruit/nuts (the choice is yours! there are some good mixes out there, it seemed cheaper to do it this way than to buy individual bags, I'm thrifty* if you haven't caught on to that)
1 2/3 rolled oats
1/3 cup oat flour (throw rolled oats in the food processor and boom oat flour)
1/2 cup sugar (would go less next time)
1/2t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
1/3 cup peanut butter (I used the naked kind, you know no sugar, just peanuts and salt)
1t vanilla
4 T butter
3 T applesauce
1/4 cup honey
1 T water
Combine all dry ingredients, (I pulsed my fruit/nut mixture because it was super chunky)
Melt butter and whisk together wet ingredients
Combine dry with the wet ingredients.
Bake in 8x8 pan lined with foil and lightly sprayed in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.  Let cool completely and cut into bars.  Voila!

In other news, I was at Weis and used 6 Puffs Plus Tissue coupons that I got from Vocalpoint.  They were $1.29 each= $7.74
-6-.50 cent coupons doubled = $6.00
Total : $1.74 for 6 boxes of tissues! word!  How's that for the DOTW?

*Shirley Chicken Legs and I decided a long time ago that we are Thrifty not Cheap ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Oh I like any of the following: Thrifty, Cheap (so long as this is not used as an adjective when referring to me secifically;), Polish (because I am), my ultimate fav is Frugel (so exotic! Onto the actual post. These look slamming good! I tend to trough together snacks that are far less healthy. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete