Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Teal and Black Wedding : Flowers


photog

This was an evolving thought throughout the planning process. First I wanted hydrangea’s, which found to be troublesome and expensive. Next I thought fake…that was short lived. And then I thought there has to be some way of making them. But really when I found my dress, they had a bouquet of fake red roses to play bride with and really the simplicity of the red rose bouquet was what I was looking for.

A few months prior to the wedding I did a practice run. I got a dozen roses from produce junction for about $4. I found a tutorial on the web on how to construct a bouquet and boom I had my flower trial right in my own home(well my parents at the time). Seeing that it was pretty simple to do I decided right then and there that I would do my own.

Which also set up doing my own bridesmaid flower bouquets and the centerpieces.

photo
 My idea for the wedding was simple elegance. For the centerpieces I picked up some teal ceramic vases at Michael's the Black Friday before the wedding. If I remember correctly they were on clearance and then 25% off. Woo hoo! Throughout the weeks leading up to the big day, I took my 40% off coupons to Michaels, ACMoore and Joanns to stock up on floral foam. I opted to use the same ribbon and bow for the vases, then filled them with white flowers.

my kitchen turned into a florist

Two days before the wedding I enlisted my mom and bridesmaid Kelli to go to produce Junction and ransack their flower department. We got all the flowers for the centerpieces and bouquets for under $200! If you have planned your own wedding and know flower prices you know this is unbelievable. No doubt it did take a lot of effort and time and man power. My Mom and Kelli spent the whole day doing the arrangements, a few weeks prior I got all the vases bowed and ready to go, while I tackled to bouquets.

The flowers held up beautifully and I was glad we did them 2 days before. The roses really popped by the wedding day. I used floral pins to pin the white ribbon for me and teal ribbon for the girls in place.
photos



In the end I was glad I chose this route. It saved us a ton of money in the end plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself really is huge. I am happy to say I had a major role in construction our wedding, making it our very own.
photos

2 comments: